The best hearing instrument is usually the one that provides the best speech understanding for soft speech in quiet and background noise. Our "Test Drive" allow you to take the hearing aid home. It is the sure way to test which hearing instrument is the best for each individual patient's lifestyle, budget and hearing loss.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ask: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have more questions, we'll do our best to answer.
Which hearing instrument is the best for me?
Can I recharge my hearing aid batteries?
Yes, there are two options; use rechargeable batteries or buy rechargeable hearing aids. The same battery technology in todays "Smart" cell phones is now available with the latest "Smart Hearing Aids". Charge your hearing aids like your cell phone and enjoy up to 24 hours or more of hearing aid use. SEE: Rechargeable Hearing Aid Systems for more info.
Do Hearing Aids work with Smart Phones?
What is a Doctor of Audiology?
A person holding an AuD degree is a Doctor of Audiology. As a hearing healthcare professional an AuD has 4 years of college & 4 years of post-graduate education and internship training. AuD’s are required to keep abreast of the latest advances in hearing healthcare via yearly continuing education courses.
What Services does a Doctor of Audiology Provide?
- Evaluates & Treats Hearing Loss, Central Auditory Disorders, Balance & Tinnitus (ringing in the ears).
- Prescribes & Fits Amplification Devices (Hearing Aids or Assistive Listening Devices )
- Evaluates & Prescribes Hearing Protection Devices
- Monitors Nerve Function in the Operating Room for Surgeons
How Do We Hear?
What are Symptoms of Hearing Loss?
- Muffling of Speech and other Sounds
- Difficulty Understanding Words, Especially Against Background Noises or in Crowds.
- Needing to Turn Up the Volume of the TV or Radio
- Withdrawal from Conversations
- Avoidance of some Social Settings
What Causes Hearing Loss?
- Noise Exposure
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Smoking (Nicotine)
- Head Trauma
- Unresolved Recurrent Ear Infections
- Acoustic Neuromas (benign tumors on the acoustic nerve)
- Diseases of the Middle Ear
- Impacted Ear Wax (More info)
- Ototoxic Drugs
Are there Different Types of Hearing Loss?
Yes - There are three types of hearing loss:
The most common type, it occurs when the inner ear (cochlea) hair cells are damaged and do not properly transmit auditory signals to the brain. Hearing instruments are recommended.
Obstructions or diseases in the external ear canal and or middle ear. These hearing disorders are usually treated medically or surgically. Hearing instruments are sometimes recommended following medical intervention.
A combination of Conductive and Sensorineural loss
Will Insurance Cover Hearing Aids and Hearing Healthcare?
Many insurance plans cover the cost of hearing aids. Most hearing services are covered with a physician's referral. It is always best to check with your specific plan. Our staff is glad to assist you in verifying your exact benefits. Click Here for more info on insurance coverage.
What is % of Hearing loss improved with Medical/Surgical Intervention?
Only 5% of hearing loss in adults can be improved medically or surgically. The vast majority of Americans with hearing loss (95%) are treated with hearing instruments.
Can a Hearing Aid Improve my Quality of Life?
Blindness separates us from things but deafness separates us from people. – Helen Keller
Research on people with hearing loss and their significant others has shown that hearing instruments play a significant factor in a person's social, emotional, psychological and physical well-being. More specifically, treatment of hearing loss has been shown to improve:
- Communication in relationships
- Intimacy and warmth in family relationships
- Ease in communication
- Earning power
- Sense of control over your life
- Social participation
- Perception of mental functioning
- Emotional stability
- Hearing aids hold great potential to positively changing your life.
Will I be able to Hear in Noisy Places?
- Yes! Todays advanced hearing instruments may be programmed for, and will automatically adjust to, your changing environment.
- While no hearing aid can filter out all background noise completely, digital wireless hearing aid systems are very effective devices.
Are there Different Styles of Digital Hearing Aids?
- Custom Fit In–The–Ear
- Full Shell
- Half Shell
- Completely In–The–Canal (CIC)
- Invisible In-The- Canal (IIC) or Deep Insertion Hearing Aids
- Behind–The–Ear (all different sizes and colors)
- Receiver In–The–Ear (Thin tube barely noticeable) transparent appearance with very small hearing processor nestled on top and behind the ear.
Should I consider purchasing a hearing aid online?
Why the consumer should not purchase hearing aids online.Risk of Online Purchase
What is "State-of-the-art" in Hearing Aid Technology?
- Wireless Hearing Instrument Systems that Connect: TVs, Cell & Land Phones, Remote Control Devices.
- Mini microphones worn on your lapel transmitting speech directly to you.
- ReSound Wireless Hearing Instruments
- Smart Phone Apps: iPhone®, Android® and more to follow
- Stream Music Library, Internet Radio, MapQuest
- Any Audio App on Smartphones will stream to the new ReSound hearing instruments with the ReSound Control App.
What is a Hearing Loop?
Click Here for complete info on Hearing Loops
What are hearing aid technology levels?
We offer 4 technology levels: premium, advanced, standard and basic. Consider your budget, lifestyle, and hearing loss.
Why is hearing aid pricing based on technology levels?
All hearing aid manufactures invest millions into research and development to create a premium product. Technology levels from premium to basic allow dispensers to offer different levels of product with varied pricing. Premium hearing aid pricing may not be affordable to all consumers.
Do I need a prescription or test to buy programmable hearing aids?
Yes: Hearing aids are available via prescription from a licensed Hearing Health Care professional: audiologist or hearing aid dispenser. However, hearing aids cannot merely be fitted with a hearing screening or basic hearing test. In our opinion it is unwise to buy hearing aids online without professional counseling and Best Practice Diagnostic/Fitting Guidelines from a Doctor of Audiology. For more information see American Speech-Language-Hearing Association opinion on Why the consumer should Not buy hearing aids online... Click Here
Are the hearing aids I see on TV any good?
Many of the products advertised on TV are not hearing aids. They are personal sound amplification products or PSAPs. In 2017 Congress passed a law creating a new category of hearing aids called "OTC" hearing aids. They are available without prescription. The FDA has until August 2020 to publish proposed guidelines for new OTC hearing aids.
Covid -19 Policies-Procedures
Feel Safe and Comfortable with our Infection Control Program
Watch Our Covid 19 Infection Control Video
- No Walk - Ins Allowed
- All Office Visits Require Appointments
- Repairs and Batteries Require Appointment time slot.
- All scheduled patients are staggered so we have NO GROUPS of people in our waiting room (only 1 patient is seen for their time slot.)
- Patients are scheduled 15 minutes Before and After each appointment.
- All surface areas in the waiting room and bathroom are sanitized before and after each patient visit.
- Face Masks are Required
- Upon Arrival please call and wait in your car
- We will greet you at the Front door
- No gloves allowed
- Hand sanitizer available upon entering office
- Please bring a Pen