- Hearing aid ear molds or plastic domes attached to hearing aids may push the wax from the ear canal and form an impaction.
- Some ear canals are small and narrow and the wax cannot naturally migrate out of the ear canal.
- Q-TIP® users push the wax into the canal (NEVER USE Q-TIPS IN THE EAR CANAL AS SERIOUS INJURIES TO THE EAR CAN OCCUR)
- Some ear canals just accumulate wax.
Professional Ear Wax (Cerumen) Removal Services
Frequently Asked Questions about Ear Wax and Removal?
Why do some ears accumulate wax?
How much will it cost?
- Insurance is accepted
- No Insurance? A nominal charge
Our Wax Removal Program
- Safe and Convenient
- Ear wax is removed before hearing tests, or during the free hearing aid checkup appointment. Patients in need of maintenance removal can have the convenience of scheduled appointments every 3, 6, or 9 months or as needed.
- Never again will you have to sit and WAIT hours in a crowded waiting room and then WAIT again in the ENT Doctor’s exam room.
At Port Jefferson Hearing, Dr. Martinetti uses an ear, nose, and throat illuminated microscope to safely and comfortably remove excess or impacted ear wax (cerumen). Initially the external ear canal is carefully examined with an illuminated otoscope to determine if there is a need to remove ear wax. The patient is seated in a hydraulic chair with the head secure and comfortable on the soft headrest.
Dr. Martinetti will use an oil based lubricant to soften the ear wax prior to removing any impaction. The wax is removed with sterilized tools specialized loop curettes and alligator forceps. Suction is used as needed. Dr. Martinetti has been trained by an ear, nose, and throat surgeon in the removal of cerumen using the ENT operating microscope.
Covid -19 Policies-Procedures
Feel Safe & Comfortable with our Infection Control Program
Watch Our Covid 19 Infection Control Video
- No Walk - Ins Allowed
- All Office Visits Require Appointments
- Repairs & Batteries Require Appointment time slot.
- All scheduled patients are staggered so we have NO GROUPS of people in our waiting room (only 1 patient is seen for their time slot.)
- Patients are scheduled 15 minutes Before and After each appointment.
- All surface areas in the waiting room and bathroom are sanitized before and after each patient visit.
- Face Masks are Required
- Upon Arrival please call and wait in your car
- We will greet you at the Front door
- No gloves allowed
- Hand sanitizer available upon entering office
- Please bring a Pen